Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Card Tricks, Magic Tricks…?


Card Tricks and More Boston/Massachusetts   www.ferrantimagic.com

“Do you just do card tricks?”

Oh, boy, it’s not going to be fun answering this. It’s a tough question, but reasonable and you had better develop a tough skin…this is no time to show attitude.

I get this question from time to time over the phone. I don’t audition for my everyday jobs; it’s just not financially possible.

What not to say: “I do not perform card tricks” [indignant tone] “I perform Miracles with cards!” [Further indignation]

Maybe this?  “Yes, I do perform quite a few card tricks; I think you will find them quite different than what you might have experienced. In fact, please take a few minutes and see my YouTube videos, they will give you a good idea of the reactions your guests will have.

[They should see your past clients having a great time…if not, you don’t need to answer the above question.]

“Also, I do perform magic with coins, dollar bills and many other everyday articles…people seem to put it into the card trick category. I understand, but there is a lot more.”

I’ve been known to say “Most lay people have never seen a professional Magician.” I mean in person, up close…know what I mean?

I’m really talking about our attitude…we don’t need to be insulted by innocent questions. i.e. “OH you perform magic…the children must love it.”

If you are insulted by this, remember, as in life, you should not feel you are better than anyone else. Drop the, “I don’t perform for children.” [Indignant tone again]

For goodness sake, people choose their fields…”I’m a brain surgeon, not a general practitioner!” [Indignant tone from a brain surgeon when asked a question about a hang nail.]

At times I think I should write a book, not a blog…so much to say. This blog could easily be about respect, never mind card tricks. And remember, respect is a two way street.

“Oh, and by the way…I don’t do kids shows.” [No tone, just sayin’”] J

 

      Joe Ferranti: Strolling/Walk Around Magician serving Massachusetts and New Hampshire

No comments:

Post a Comment