Wednesday, September 30, 2015

A Small Challenge for The Strolling Magician

Boston Magician


Image of Boston Magician Joe Ferranti entertaining smiling and laughing spectators in The North End of Boston.


www.ferrantimagic.com 339-927-4710

I acquire my work in several ways. In an ideal world, all work would come from spectators who were in attendance at a previous Gig.They would know exactly what they will be getting in terms of entertainment. The next best scenario is a response from my web site. www.ferrantimagic.com
Finally, last, and I mean last is the pseudo “agency”.  An agent is different, they keep your schedule busy, line you up with clients that fit your style. They take care of everything and are paid a percentage, which they earn.
The pseudo agency is where we find most of our work. These agencies have plenty of money to be in the top of all the search engines, and they pay for ads as well. With their names, it appears to the customer that they have the “Best” entertainers in the area. In truth, most of us are listed on the first page of Google, but my site may be directly under the Big Paid Ad.  Enough complaining,  Here is the challenge.
I got a lead from “The Agency” and the description of the client and the guests.”
“a smart, fun, sophisticated group that appreciates elegant tricks and sleight-of-hand; in small groups at table, not a large show”
This seems to be a challenge, as I never want to let a client down. Can I entertain and deceive the “smart”?  Is my sleight of hand “elegant”?
My reply about the sleight of hand was you will not know if it is elegant as you will not see it. Sleight of hand combined with basic psychology is “stealth.”
I informed the potential client that I had worked for Harvard business School, and listed my most intelligent “appearing” clients. As is sometimes the case, I was hired at a pricey fee. Such requirements can’t come cheap.
So what do I use for material? Do I use the stuff I save for the intelligent clients? Or just do what I do?
In truth, of course I don’t have separate material for the average or above average client. You just go in with your usual repertoire. It has always worked, why should it let me down?
How pleasant to find these were very nice people, no different than any other group. They weren’t looking for anything but a good time, provided by a professional Magician. There are "magicians" out there who will claim they have the “goods” but show up empty handed. Which is one of many reasons we fight the Magician reputation battle, job by job?
What a wonderful group and most generous of clients. The evening was truly a great time for me.  
Joe Ferranti                                                                                                                      Magician in Massachusetts    





No comments:

Post a Comment